Tuesday, August 28, 2012

After 86 films, who cares about critics

After 86 films, who cares about critics
There are two forms of films, one for critics and the opposite for audiences, believes National Award winner Priyadarshan, who has successfully straddled two worlds and says candidly that his next "Kamaal Dhamaal Malamaal" is precisely masala.

Priyadarshan, whose 86-film oeuvre have been an eclectic mixture of masala and serious cinema, says he'll continue making both types of movies, whether they make it to the Rs.100 crore club.

"Kamaal Dhamaal Malamaal" is about to release September-end and he says it it not meant for critics.

"After 86 films, who cares about critics? If I NEED the critics to love my film, I make films like 'Kanchivaram' (Tamil film), which got me the National Award. That film is for critics, this isn't for critics. 'Kamaal Dhamaal Malamaal' is for individuals to enjoy," Priyadarshan told in an exclusive interview.

"After 86 films in numerous languages, you do what you think that is true. Some films flop, some succeed. (BUT WHEN) you flop continuously, you are out," he added.

The 55-year-old is as well-known for helming Hindi comedies like "Hera Pheri", "Hungama" and "Bhool Bhulaiyaa" as for his critically acclaimed southern films like "Chithram" and "Kanchivaram".

Priyadarshan's last two Hindi outings - the issue-based "Aakrosh" and action thriller "Tezz" - didn't manage the predicted response. But the director appears quite unfazed and says people want him to make comedies only, and so he's back to the genre with "Kamaal Dhamaal Malamaal".

"My last two films 'Aakrosh' and 'Tezz' didn't do well. I ASSUME individuals are expecting only humour from me; so I'VE decided to switch my attitude this time," he said.

And he promises the similar flavour as in his previous directorials.

"I don't need it to be different. I WOULD LIKE it to seem like my earlier comedies which individuals have enjoyed. There may be more suspense than humour on this film. The film shows a stranger coming to town and there's suspicion about who he is," he said, talking in regards to the movie, which stars Nana Patekar, Shreyas Talpade and Paresh Rawal.

The Hindi film industry has lately seen a string of comedy films like "Housefull 2" and "Bol Bachchan", that have struck gold on the box office, or even crossed the golden Rs.100-crore mark. But that isn't the measure of success for Priyadarshan.

"Those films had huge stars. Now we have small stars. I DO NOT want it to cross Rs.100 crore since the film isn't made in an enormous budget. As long because it makes the folks happy, we're happy," he said.

But what works, he believes, is clean comedy.

"I started comedy with 'Hera Pheri'. I THINK that my films are clean. There is not any vulgarity or double meaning. That is how they're different," he said.

When Priyadarshan got down to experiment with comedy with "Hera Pheri" back in 2000, he was warned that the genre wouldn't work at a time when the formula of romance was at its peak. But he was willing to take the risk, and says he desires to continue doing so.

"It began with 'Hera Pheri'. Once I made it, people said Hindi cinema won't ever accept comedies. I'VE tried all types of cinema; I still wish to try serious cinema, otherwise I WILL BE ABLE TO get bored," he said.