Thursday, November 29, 2012

Irrfan re-shot his entire role in Ang Lee`s Lifetime of Pi

Irrfan re-shot his entire role in Ang Lee`s Life Of Pi
By Subhash K Jha

Basking within the rave reviews of Ang Lee's Lifetime of Pi, three days after its release Irrran reveals he re-shot his entire character within the film.

`That's right, ` the fearless confident actor confesses. `I needed to re-shoot my entire role in Lifetime of Pi. I'll inform you why. 6-7 months once I finished shooting I got a decision from Ang Lee saying we needed to do a little re-shooting. You see, Ang decided to switch my co-star who plays the writer Yann Martel.

Initially we shot with Toby Maguire as Martel. But then after six months I BELIEVE Ang felt Toby's image as Spideman was too strong. We wanted an image-less actor to play Martel because he was a struggling writer and an actor with a powerful image is usually a hindrance. So Ang got Rafe Spall.

When I went to LA to re-shoot I decided to do my ENTIRE role again in place of just re-shooting bits and pieces. I MENTIONED it with Ang, and he was game. We both felt the dramatic impact of the tale hinged on my scenes with Spall. `

As for the the response to the film Irrfan is greater than satisfied. `The studio (Fox-Star) tells me they've earned a miles larger revenue worldwide than they expected. They felt a 20-million dollar opening would make it a safe bet.

They got a 27-million dollar opening. Cool, no? That's quite an achievement for a movie that has no parallel. Audiences are treated to an experience that may be utterly unique. They might have rejected it. They chose to embrace the wonderful thing about Ang Lee's vision. That's quite something. `

Irrfan feels Ang, like Tighmanshu Dhulia in Paan Singh Tomar, took on an uphill task in Lifetime of Pi. `It isn't easy to inform a narrative where the characters are taken from given material. Ang needed to be faithful to Yann Martel's novel.

But he also needed to be true to his own vision. In a film's climax you generally see action, drama, fights, tears and fireworks. In Lifetime of Pi audiences are subjected to philosophy within the climax. To condense the book right into a two-hour film seemed impossible. Ang's mastery is clear in how he brings alive elements within the book without underlining any episode. `

Irrfan looks back on Lifetime of Pi as another leap forward in his career. `I am very excited. Before the discharge everyone felt the film cannot be sold to the audience because there has been no story to sell in a nutshell. Our marketing strategy worked.

As an actor I had never done a personality like this. I needed to discuss philosophy when cinema is an emotional medium. Ang told me that I is not going to voice person grief, that my voice should become the voice of humanity. That is what I ATTEMPTED to do in my performance. `

Interestingly Irrfan new curly-haired look was cultivated for all times Of Pi but has now been utilized in Tigmanshu Dhulia's Sahib Bibi Aur Gangstster Returns.

Explains the actor, `It was imagined to be for all times Of Pi to compare the hair and look of Suraj Sharma who plays my younger version. I needed to grow my hair. Then before I MAY cut my hair I needed to re-shoot. By then it was time to shoot Tigmanshu's film. So I needed to retain the similar look. `

Irrfan is content as an actor. `Paan Singh Tomar and Lifetime of Pi have made me feel happy. I'M HOPING to get stories I WOULD LIKE to do. That's my challenge and struggle as an actor. I'm in no hurry. The Indian film industry is changing rapidly.

And I credit the audience for this alteration. Take a look at Paan Singh Tomar. It made a mark with none publicity. Paan Singh's story was yearning to learn. I'M glad I USED TO BE a part of it. I WOULD LIKE new challenges. I MUST explore myself as an actor. `

Irrfan has no plans of turning director. `I can't write! I WANT a writer who can formulate my thoughts. Until I LOCATE that alter ego I WILL NOT call to mind direction. `

Irrfan is currently shooting Nikhil Advani's D Day in Kutch. He loves the experience of working with Nikhil and Rishi Kapoor. `Nikhil was kind enough to let me off to advertise Lifetime of Pi. He let me opt for every week to be in New York for screenings and q and a sessions. I never knew how relevant these q and a sessions after the screenings were, previously. `

As for Rishi Kapoor Irrfan raves, `I always knew he's an excellent actor. But he's also lovely humanbeing. I've learnt such a lot working with him. He keeps his looming legacy in a single pocket and current trends of cinema in his other pocket. He has no pretensions. I LIKE working with him. `