Thursday, November 29, 2012

You can`t get it wrong with passion-profession combo: Karan Johar

You can`t go wrong with passion-profession combo: Karan Johar
He is keen about his work and believes within the power of cinema, the explanation why he mostly manages to hit box office bull's eye, says Karan Johar, the successful director and the person behind Dharma Productions.

"I am a super believer in cinema. I REALLY LIKE films. I REALLY LIKE the magic of the flicks. And that i think whilst you love the movies, you create the movies," Karan told in an exclusive interview.

This is correct of everyone who's involved together with his production house Dharma Productions, said Karan.

"I think the explanation why we do what we do is because we all within the company are very enthusiastic about cinema. It is not an afternoon job for me; it is a passion job for me. So, in case you have both passion and profession walking hand in hand, you can not really go wrong," he said.

Karan's passion was evident in his films "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai", "Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham", "Kal Ho Naa Ho", "My Name Is Khan" and "Agneepath". Known for making glamorous and designer family dramas, he feels his films may be able to discover a perfect match between intelligence and commercial elements.

"It really is determined by the ethos of a filmmaker and what she or he desires to communicate. We produce what we believe in, but it surely might be of any type and be part of any genre," he said.

"While we produce a 'Student Of The Year', we now have also produced a 'My Name Is Khan', which had its own impact and relevance or a 'Kurbaan', which has some more or less social relevance as a part of its plot. So while there's entertainment, there is also relevance and we balance it throughout the company," he said.

The latest yardstick to measure a film's success in B-town is whether it's a part of the Rs.100-Rs.200 crore club, but Karan believes a film's success have to be measured at the basis of its longevity.

"I think if a movie doesn't last in longevity and in people's memories, it isn't a movie of importance or relevance. Box office numbers are eventually your report card within the business. But I BELIEVE what's really important is that you must make a film, that's remembered. So, to go away the film behind within the minds of a cinegoer have to be every filmmaker's objective," he said.

He is rather chilled out in regards to the latest fad of remakes.

"I am pleased with remakes. When you can provide your personal edge and slant, then why don't you? I FEEL there's a dearth of writers, but I DO NOT BELIEVE that's why people make remakes....it's also your sense of creativity and what you need to do with it. Remaking it in just the similar way is not any fun. Revisiting it in a undeniable way and adjusting it to the trendy times always makes it interesting," he said.

Discussing his own experience with "Agneepath", he said it was more of a tribute to his father Yash Johar.

"I desired to pay a tribute to a movie which my father had produced and Mukul (Mukul S. Anand) had directed fantastically. I NEEDED to ensure that we make it in a distinct way, which I FEEL in," he said.