Thursday, November 29, 2012

Raveena Tandon Plays Shobha De

Raveena Tandon Plays Shobha De
By Subhash K Jha

Even as Raveena Tandon gets able to take her new film Shobhna's 7 Nights a few rich bored columnist-author who gets right into a relationship with a struggling actor moonlighting as a gigolo, to the Indian Film Festival at Houston, the film appears to be getting itself right into a series of sticky situations as a result of close resemblance that some characters bear to real-life figures from the Indian entertainment and publishing industry.

To begin with, Raveena Tandon's character is partly inspired by Shobha De, a proven fact that the director verifies. He admits that the nature was `expanded right into a colourful scandalous avatar` which can not go down well with Ms De.

Now we come to understand that the nature played by Rohit Roy of a dashing rakish glamour photographer is modelled on Atul Kasbekar.

The director admits that Ronit's character is indeed in line with Kasbekar, `It's true. Once I wrote the nature of a goodlooking glamour-photographer who hobnobs with the sexiest models and actresses I'LL recall to mind only Atul.

In fact after I prepared the idea that posters for Shobhna's 7 Nights I put Atul's picture in them. Later after I signed Rohit for the role I saw an uncanny physical resemblance with Atul Kasbekar. So you see, Rohit isn't just playing a personality modelled on Atul, Rohit even resembles Atul. `

When asked about his on-screen avatar Atul Kasbekar appeared amused, `This is the primary time I'M hearing about it. I AM HOPING the reel portrayal is more interesting than the true. `

In the meanwhile a 3rd character played by Anupam Kher, playing a publisher named 'Harry Davidar' of 'Walrus Books' who gets right into a serious controversy, also bears an unmistakable resemblance to real-life publisher David Davidar.

David's nephew has contacted Sudipto asking that his uncle's name be changed within the film.

Says the director, `David Davidar's nephew Jonathan did contact me to modify Anupam's character's name. But it surely was too late. There has been nothing I MAY do about it. Whether it's Shobha, Atul or David I AM HOPING they understand that the characters in my film are in line with them just because these are iconic names within the entertainment and publishing industry and also you just can't escape from it. `