Friday, June 29, 2012

`Big stars include numerous baggage`

`Big stars come with a lot of baggage`
After proving his mettle with "Rock On!!", Abhishek Kapoor wears the director's cap for "Kai Po Che" again and says he consciously chose newcomers over big stars for the film because he desired to execute the tale with none changes. The director feels the industry needs more fresh talent.

"Kai Po Che", the large screen adaptation of Chetan Bhagat's book "3 Mistakes of My Life", features TV actors Sushant Singh Rajput, Amit Sadh and Rajkumar Yadav with Amrita Puri the feminine lead.

"Big stars include a large number of baggage. There are things they do not wish to do," Kapoor told in an interview.

"This (film) is a narrative about three young boys and massive stars on this bracket are at a stage of their career where they aren't sure. They're scared about who may be cast opposite them...they take into accounts these kind of things. I don't need to do that, I DO NOT wish to change my script because I'M casting a large star," he added.

"I think our industry can do with young people, we hardly have anyone. There are two or three people who find themselves getting all of the work. What would people do? It's important that new people get a possibility. The 3 actors in my film are fantastic. All of the big stars were also newcomers at some time," he said.

Kapoor, who won a countrywide Award for 2008 film "Rock On!!", discloses that Chetan Bhagat had offered him two of his books - "2 States: The tale of My Marriage" and three" Mistakes of My Life". He chose to compliment the latter.

"I thought this had great cinematic potential. I felt if it seems to be an excellent film it is going to be remembered forever. There may be such a lot in it: there's love, friendship, politics and cricket," said Kapoor.

Drafting the screenplay of "Kai Po Che", a victory cry heard in the course of the kite festival in Gujarat, took a large number of time.

"I took a while off after 'Rock On!!', then I chose the book. It took some time for me to draft it. It is not a race, I took my time and developed two new scripts," said Kapoor.

"As a book it goes into different directions, to be able to make a film out of it you need to draft it differently. AN EXCESSIVELY serious process goes into adapting a book for a movie. We now have changed it around 50 percent," he added.

After the stupendous success of "Rock On!!", expectations from "Kai Po Che" are high. But Kapoor is unperturbed.

"This is an absolutely new film. I'VE no fear of expectations. I DO KNOW while you will come and watch the film, you're going to forget 'Rock On!!'. There is not any similarity, it has a special style and i've also learned so much while working on it," he said.