Thursday, June 28, 2012

The perks of being Sanjay Bhansali`s sister

The perks of being Sanjay Bhansali`s sister
That she is filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali's sister has made her journey into showbiz trouble free, admits editor-turned-director Bela Sehgal whose first venture "Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi" is set for release.

Clarifying that she isn't copying her brother's sort of filmmaking to be successful, Bela told: "I always desired to be a director. Luckily for me, Sanjay started directing. And yes, of course, being Sanjay's sister helped me a lot."

Co-produced by Bhansali and Sunil A. Lulla, "Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi", which marks choreographer-director Farah Khan's debut as an actor, is slated for an Aug 24 release. Farah has teamed up with Boman Irani in it.

Elaborating at the perks that include being Sanjay Bhansali's sister, she said that in comparison to individuals who struggled, numerous things came her way easily.

"Without him, I DO NOT BELIEVE a large number of things would was really easy for me. We're like cats and dogs, but we both love one another. We both love one another to death."

Her brother is understood for making larger than life films, but Bela did not want to move that way.

"There is a reason for that. I said if I MIGHT do everything very similar to Sanjay, people is not going to even take a look at me. Why not do something different where people would say, ok, Sanjay's sister's film is different. I'M that sort of an individual. I enjoy my life. I'M full of masti and fun."

She tried to make "Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi" eight years ago with Farah and Boman, but things didn't fall into place.

"It have been an extended journey. Earlier, I BEGAN with Boman only and commenced engaged on it with a distinct writer. Things didn't determine. Something happened which I DO NOT even remember, I went through an entire circle and that i went back to Boman again with the script."

"Eight years ago, I had asked Farah for the film. I told Sanjay to invite Farah. When he asked her, she said, 'You want me to behave in your film?' I said, yes. She took it as a joke but after eight years I went back to her. Farah and Boman fitted the bill perfectly," she added.

With films like "Kahaani" and "Vicky Donor" setting the money registers ringing, Bela feels that is the fitting time to release "Shirin..."

"It shouldn't have worked eight years back. Now people have progressed such a lot that they've started understanding different things. They're hungry for various things," she added.

While brother Bhansali explored the Gujarati community in "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam", Catholics in "Khaamoshi", Anglo Indians in "Black" and Bengalis in "Devdas", Bela focusses at the Parsi community in her debut film.

"Parsi community talk may be very 'bindaas'. They're very bold and sweet. I just picked up this one because nobody has touched this and if in any respect they have got, they have shown it in dark. I NEED to turn them as nice and fun-loving people," Bela said.

'Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi' has an all-Parsi cast

Choreographer-director Farah Khan's acting outing has the vast majority of the film's star cast above the age of 70

To add to that, it has an all-Parsi cast barring an artiste or two. Needless to mention, her co-star Boman Irani is Parsi too and Farah herself is half-Parsi!