Tuesday, June 26, 2012

We're provoking people to appear inward: Aamir

We are provoking people to look inward: Aamir
Bollywood actor Aamir Khan said his show Satyamev Jayate cannot change things which can bwill definitelyer feelings, but will certainly provoke everyone to think and look inward.

In an interview to CNN IBN, Aamir Khan, whose shows on issues like medical malpractices generated controversies and turned the doctors against him, said change can come only through change in attitude and never just be political actions.

"Actually I don’t think we're looking to rouse the conscience of the political class specifically. That’s not what we're trying to do. What we're trying to do really is question ourselves, and in questioning myself, I'M HOPING that individuals will question themselves, whether you might be in politics or a standard person," he told the interviewer.

"In fact, in a lot of issues… what's required is a metamorphosis in attitude. For example, we all are surrounded by this patriarchal roughly thinking. Now politicians can hardly change that. The sensation that folks have… of not wanting a lady child… that may be a feeling. So we're seeking to provoke people to appear inward, in preference to outward," he said.

He told interviewer Sagarika Ghosh that the response to his show is sort of a dream like one.

".. I NEED TO say this that it's like a dream response that we're having to the show and that is the type of response we would have liked to have. That is the type of impact we would have liked to have," he said.

"This is the type of debate we had hoped to generate and discussions among people across, you know, the rustic – if it is small towns, villages or cities, across economic groups. And that's exactly what's happening and me and my entire team is actually happy about that," he said.

Aamir said he's also not bothered by the tv Rating Points (TRPs), seen as an indicated of recognition of any TV programme.

"I am very clear that our viewership is the top ever. I don’t know what the advertisers do but I CAN let you know something. The rationale I am not bothered about TRPs is because TRP number is given by just 7,000 boxes. And the way is 7000 boxes going to inform me what India is watching.

"TRP may be very different from viewership. And i'm bothered about viewership, I'M enthusiastic about it, not the TRPs," he said