Monday, June 25, 2012

I`ve been Insulted and Humiliated: Dibakar adds fuel to Pitobash`s accusation

I`ve been Insulted and Humiliated: Dibakar adds fuel to Pitobash`s accusation
By Subhash K Jha

Far from shying clear of actor Pitobash Tripathy’s accusations Dibakar Bannerjee actually admits to suffering the similar snub and humiliation that his actor has so candidly blurted out.

Says Dibakar, “I’ve undergone what Pitobash has. It’s not that I USED TO BE being demeaned. ”

To return a bit, Pitobash who's a pivotal player in Shanghai recently accused Dibakar of neglecting and sidetracking the actor during the promotion and marketing of the film. So hurt and angry is Pitobash that he’s quoted as openly abusing Dibakar

Dibakar not just accepts Pitbash’s allegations and anger the director drops a hot potato of his own alleging that he was subjected to the same more or less humiliation.

“Pitobash isn't wrong. He was discriminated against. He spoke not in a pre-meditated planned way but in a spontaneous burst of anguish and humiliation. I understand his sense injured pride. I’ve felt it too. And a minimum of he has me responsible for the discrimination he needed to face. I'VE nobody guilty. ”

Dibakar says he had undergo constant humiliation. “Shanghai was a small film. And we were constantly counting pennies. I USED TO BE shown my place constantly. And the humiliation continues even after the film is released and declared successful. I faced many insults.

I repeatedly needed to grovel and beg for the smallest of expenses. And when it came to stars I USED TO BE treated like a second-class citizen. After we toured cities the star’s room could be ready immediately. I’d sometimes must wait five hours.

And believe me, I’ve less reason to complain than the crew who often needed to wait even longer hours for the most straightforward of amenities. It’s the character of the star system. After I got lathi-charged within the automobile parking space of an awards function. Gaya tha award lene maar khake aa gaya. ”

For a contemporary global awards event in Singapore Dibakar says he needed to fight tooth and nail to get the Shanghai crew into Singapore and Pitobash and other non-star members of the forged needed to be sacrificed from the trip.

Shudders Dibakar. “Just to take the entire crew who really contributed, and that i mean the cinematographer, writer, production designer, I had to grovel and beg an entire lot, believe me. I needed to sacrifice the actors to get the technicians over to Singapore.

I wish Pitobash had seen what I needed to undergo. I’m being constantly subjected to counter-preferential treatment. On the airport the star gets picked up first. I NEED TO wait. It continues. Poor Pitobash. I understand his feelings completely. ”

Admits Dibakar, “Without an actor of Pitobash’s talent Shanghai wouldn’t has been possible. That he was ignored is unfortunate. And I take the blame. I THINK there’s so much for me to do to get dignity for my cast and crew.

Maybe at some points I slipped up and ignored Pitobash because it’s the celebs who get visibility for a movie. The pecking order is a harsh reality. I'M REALLY NOT comfortable with it. I BELIEVE Pitobash spoke on behalf of many neglected actors within the film industry. ”

However Dibakar is quick to show that everybody was treated equally on his sets. “The discrimination set in in the course of the promotion. I dare Pitobash or any of the actors to accuse me of preferential treatment at the sets. The opposite day the intense Anant Jog came over to my house with a small gift of appreciation. We respect every actors, even if stars become actors. ”

It’s believed that the Bharat mata ki jai song was Pitobash’s solo but Emraan Hashmi needed to be included to make it saleable.

Dibakar refutes that charge. “It was always Pitobash and Emraan. However the lyrics of the song described the lifetime of the political goonda that Pitobash played. And yes, I CAN 100% cast Pitobash again. I FEEL Shanghai has taken him to a different level. It’s sad he couldn’t benefit from the success of Shanghai. ”