Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Introducing the spirited Saas from Vicky Donor

Introducing the spirited Saas from Vicky DonorBy Subhash K Jha

A spirited 75, Kamlesh Gill who plays the gizmo-friendly whiskey-drinking Saas in Shoojit Sircar’s Vicky Donor was doing theatre from 1957. She has done some films earlier including Imtiaz Ali’s Socha Na Ttha and Love Aaj Kal.

“But in most of these years I didn’t get the eye that I’m now getting for my role in Vicky Donor, ” says the lucid articulate Ms Gill who worked within the railway services for 40 years. “But acting was always a zeal.

When I’m performing on stage or television or in films I BELIEVE alive and charged. Not too many jobs like Vicky Donor are written. I’m lucky it came my way. ”

Ms Gill says she was extremely well taken care of my Shoojit Sircar’s unit. “I be afflicted by arthritis and i'm unable to be on my feet for too long. Shoojit adjusted my character accordingly. And Dolly Ahluwalia who played my daughter-in-law was a lovely co-star. I had a ball shooting this film. ”

Kamlesh Gill has two daughters, both married and settled clear of home. Acting is her primary focus in life.

“I could’ve done many more movies. Within the 1970s my serial Aur Gham Bhi Hain Zamanein Mein became highly regarded and that i got numerous movie offers. But my husband passed on to the great beyond and that i needed to deal with taking care of my daughters. Such is life. ”

She’s happy that her unconventional Saas act have been appreciated. “I’m getting calls from everywhere saying they love the rapport I share with my Dolly. The entire idea of sharing a drink together is unconventional. But it surely has clicked. I SUPPOSE it’s an indication of the way much our society and cinema have changed. ”