Monday, March 26, 2012

Meet the true Agent Vinod

Meet the real Agent VinodBy Subhash K Jha

“I’m still referred to as Agent Vinod after 35 years, ” says Mahendra Sandhu. “Cops at traffic signals, security guys on the airport still call me Agent Vinod. For years or even now people shouted, ‘Agent Vinod’when they spotted me. ”

Sandhu who was completely disconnected from the film industry for 25 years, isn’t flattered by the eye that he’s getting by default. He strikes you as someone who doesn’t give a damn about fame any more, though Sandhu confesses that at one stage in his career when he had the sector at his feet, he will need to have been more fascinated by stardom.

Recalls Sandhu, “Agent Vinod was my 9th film. The Rajshri patriarch Tarachand Barjatya called me after seeing my work in a movie called Khoon Ki Keemat

. He desired to know who I USED TO BE and why I had never visited the Rajshri office like every other newcomers. But I never went out to appear for roles. That was a mistake….

Anyway I met Tarachand Saab. But I didn’t like what they offered me. Then they came to me with what was being termed as a desi Bond. I had recently done a desi Clint Eastwood film, and now Bond…. Ha ha.

The director was a tender man Deepak Bahri. Our careers trusted the success of Agent Vinod. ”

By the time Agent Vinod came to Sandhu he had already packed up his bags and decided to depart Bollywood.

“I was from Punjab. And similar to migrants come to Mumbai from Bihar and UP I USED TO BE here to check out my luck in movies. Since I hadn’t made any headway I DETERMINED to return to Punjab where I had various land. Agent Vinod revived my career.

We went for the most efficient choreographer, best action director-- Ajay’s father Veeru Devgan, although we couldn’t afford him—the Rajshris don’t believe in high budgets.

My director Deepak and that i slogged like there has been no tomorrow. After shooting within the evenings we’d get drunk and beauty what we’d do if Agent Vinod flopped. I said I’d return to my farming in Punjab. Deepak would say, ‘Mere paas to zameen bhi nahin hai. Main kya karunga. ”

Luckily Agent Vinod clicked. “I got numerous offers after Agent Vinod. But I USED TO BE foolish in my choices. The Rajshris had promised to make a sequel. But they didn’t. They couldn’t afford it.

They made low-budget family dramas that were shot in a single bungalow. Agent Vinod needed many expensive locations. If there has been a sequel my Agent Vinod would’ve been a franchise. That wasn’t meant to be”

Sandhu made an erroneous image switch-over. “Instead of benefiting from my slick sleuth’s image in Agent Vinod I did dacoit films like Jwala Daku, Mujhe Vachan Do and Kaun Kitne Paani Mein…I identified with that came roughly culture…But it was a mistake. I should’ve done more Agent Vinod films. ”

Retrospecting ruthlessly on his career as a movie actor Sandhu sighs, “It’s been a protracted long time…35 years ago I USED TO BE launched because the next neatest thing in Khoon Khoon. Those were the days…. I SUPPOSE I wasn’t destined to be a superstar.

I am not more a part of the industry. I'M still in Mumbai but I'M REALLY NOT touch with anyone within the industry. That’s how it works on this industry”

Analyzing what went wrong together with his career Sandhu observes, “See, after I came into the film industry I USED TO BE welcomed with open arms. I USED TO BE quite a craze. But then you definitely understand how it really works.

My first film Khoon Khoon didn’t work as it was a replica of Dirty Harry. And 20th Century Fox slapped a lawsuit against the producers of Khoon Khoon for copyright breach.

Those days our films used to duplicate Hollywood arbitrarily without taking permission. The banner F C Mehra’s Eagle Films, was prestigious. After they narrated the script I USED TO BE very excited. I USED TO BE a large fan of Clint Eastwood. I USED TO BE very excited to be playing Clint Eastwood. I USED TO BE projected as India’s Eastwood. ”

Today Sandhu is excited to be noticed by default. “Suddenly after 25 years everybody is asking me…Saif and his director Sriram Raghavan once rang me up and came visiting to go to me to supply me a cameo. I wasn’t keen. But I reluctantly agreed given that I REALLY LIKE the role.

They never reverted. Right from the start I’ve been very fussy and picky. I wouldn’t do negative roles, second leads. I refused to have any co-star hit me and even shout at me. I became a laughing stock within the industry.

I remember I USED TO BE doing a movie with the mighty Raj Kumar. I USED TO BE playing a cop. In a scene Raj Kumar was purported to snatch the gun clear of me. I refused to try this shot.

The director argued that it was the nature from whom the gun was being taken. I refused arguing, ‘Mahendra Sandhu ke haath se koi gun kaise le lega. ’ Raj Kumar was offended. He left the shooting. And the film was shelved. ”

Looking back, Sandhu regrets losing out on his stardom. “I laugh at my very own behaviour. Now I THINK I USED TO BE very childish. But I BELIEVE happy that I didn’t compromise with my selfrespect. I never waited outside producers’ offices, like my contemporaries did.

I respected everyone and got respect back. I USED TO BE referred to as ‘Sandhu Saab’ from the beginning and that i remain addressed that way. Whatever roles I got I took. I never sought out any.

I thought I USED TO BE the most productive. I still maintain I USED TO BE better than lots of contemporaries. But I wasn’t manipulative, and that i wasn’t diplomatic. ”

Sandhu says he has no friends in Bollywood. “There’re no friends on this industry. After I was a movie producer I had many friends. I’d get bouquets from actresses and actors who wanted a job. Once I stopped producing films, the bouquets and the calls stopped. That’s life. No regrets. ”

Sandhu has a contented prosperous life outside Bollywood. “I’ve friends world wide. I’ve two daughters, considered one of them is married to a health care provider in Mumbai. My real-estate business pays a lot better than my acting career.

I am my very own boss. Three days every week I spend in Mumbai, the remainder outside. In summer I'M GOING abroad. In winter I'M in Punjab. I sleep and get up after I need to. I meet who I WOULD LIKE to. I'M far happier now than I USED TO BE as an actor. ”

Sandhu has no intentions of watching Agent Vinod. “I haven’t seen a Hindi film in 25 years. I haven’t stepped right into a theatre, and never been to a filmy party or met anyone from the industry.

I believe Saif has made a connection with me within the film. I’m happy for him. He’s the brand new Agent Vinod. TWO DECADES from now it can be another person. Saif has worked hard at the film. I wish him the entire best. ”