Monday, March 26, 2012

‘Sperm donation is common, people keep mum’

`Sperm donation is common, people keep mum`VJ-turned-actor Ayushmann Khurrana has chosen to be different. With "Vicky Donor", an uncoventional film on sperm donation, he is glad that his debut project deals with a standard issue seldom mentioned within the country.

"This film is not going to only entertain you, it's going to enlighten you about sperm donation. It is extremely common in our country, but it's just that people don't speak about it, " Ayushmann told.

"It is 2012 and it's high time we mentioned the problem. We now have taken the duty of constructing people conscious about it, but in an excessively light- hearted manner.

"Sperm donation is a social cause, it doesn't save life, it gives life, this is a different zone altogether. This film tackles the issue in an overly mature way, " he added.

The 27-year-old can be seen within the role of Vicky, a good-for-nothing guy, who goes directly to become a certified sperm donor.

Actor John Abraham's first production venture, "Vicky Donor" is directed by Shoojit Sircar. The film, releasing April 20, also features Yami Gautam.

While many choose a romantic or a masala film as their launchpad, Ayushmann wanted his debut to be unique.

"I waited for four years for this film. I NEEDED to do a fresh and out-of-the-box film. I WISHED to do a movie with a reputable director and Shoojit Sircar is considered one of them. Being directed by someone who has worked with the likes of Amitabh Bachchan, you're feeling you might be in a safe zone, " he said.

Ayushmann won the second one season of MTV's adventure reality show "Roadies". But after that, he returned to hometown Chandigarh and involved himself with theatre.

"I was always into theatre and performing arts. I FEEL I USED TO BE a born performer. I USED TO BE a part of 'Roadies', but after the show, my parents didn't allow me to visit Mumbai and that i also think I USED TO BE not prepared at that time, " said Ayushmann.

He went directly to become a well-liked host on television. With the exception of MTV shows, he has hosted "India's Got Talent" and "Just Dance".

"I came back to Chandigarh, did theatre for 5 years and radio for 2 years. I BELIEVE the mix prepared me for showbiz. Then I came back to Mumbai, " he added.

Ayushmann may be glad he has entered the film industry at a promising time when the audience is opening as much as concept-driven films in addition to newcomers.

"I think the 1980s was the time when VCRs came and those hardly went to look at movies within the theatres. Then within the 1990s, Aamir Khan, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan became stars.

"I believe it's after the year 2000, there was ample scope for movies which can be subject-driven. That is the age of renaissance for the Indian cinema, " he said.

"I think this is a very welcome change, newcomers are becoming opportunities and lot of concept-driven films are being made. It's hard to fool the audience.

"Most of the population in India is young. After they go out, they would like to spend on a film, which brings something at the table, something that may be slightly intelligent and unique. Since India is growing, cinema could also be growing, " he added.